Thursday, October 30, 2008

Who needs Mats?

I wonder how many Leafs fans I have offended by the title of this post? I've been watching the new, fast, fun and somewhat successful Leafs for the past ten games and haven't enjoyed hockey this much since Josh and Alex played.

This is hockey the way it is (not was)supposed to be. I enjoyed watching the hard work and the incredible tenacity that the new coach demands. I'm quite confident that there will be significant losses for the team this year, however their work ethic (read fear of the press box) is something that at the least demands respect.

So, does the "team" need Mats? I step out and say, no! I think he would upset the apple cart. Can you see the coach sending him to the press box? He certainly doesn't have the speed anymore. leadership needs to be on the ice and in the room. Would be he good for the "team"? I think he might be, but he will also eat up dollars that could be spent somewhere else on either free agents or on more than one younger player. If he returns let him go to another team, let him try for the cup with a team that can do it this year or next and then let him retire and go into the Hall which he deserves.

I say, don't even pursue him but I'm just a fan.

Go Leafs Go.

No comments: