Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Conkers and Drimnagh Castle


This is a great time to play conkers. This is the time when the chestnuts are falling and size really matters here. Most people from Ireland and parts there about played conkers at some time during their lives. So what is conkers you ask? Well, you take a chestnut, bore a hole through the middle, then feed a piece of string and tie a knot at the bottom end. Then find someone else with a conker and the game begins. The string needs to be about a foot long after the knot is tied, so that you have great swing action. The purpose is to either break or knock the other players conker off their string. 

I remember playing conkers on the grounds of Drimnagh Castle, the school I attended before we came to Canada. The photo above was taken by Ricia Maciejko and I uploaded the photo from Picasa. I learned a lot tonight. The school and Castle are on the same grounds and it is a 13th century Norman castle that still has a moat. Way back in the day, I was a member of the DCAC, the "Drimnagh Castle Athletic Club" (yes I was athletic back then) and we used to dress for meets etc. in the Castle. 

I'm off, time to get off this chair, I'm tired and sore, I'd still love to play a game of conkers, any takers? I'm also planning a trip "home" with my sister for 2009, I'll visit the castle and "spit in the Liffey" too, more on that another time.

No comments: