Friday, October 31, 2008

Life on Mars (one more try) Some spoilers in this post.

I couldn't stay away from the show last night. Of course when I wanted to watch it, my cable wouldn't work. I finally got it working(I am getting madder at Rogers by the minute) I watched the show. The music was ok. Kinda cheesy using "mother and child reunion" when Sam (the main character) meets his mom for the first time in 1973.

If you are not watching the show, feel free to move to the next post as this won't make much sense to you. Anyways, I thought the show, dialogue and character development was better in this episode and will watch again next week. I'm interested to see where they go. The acid trip was stupid, if you ask me and the toy in the ear was like watching an old "horror" movie.

The redemption of the lieutenant(Harvey Keitel) was interesting and possibly a way to try and "white wash" his sins of the past. I can't buy (pun intended) that, even though he accepted the bribes/graft and then he burns the money at the end of the show, it doesn't absolve him of the behaviour. I can't wait to see him next week, will they try and make him the "co-saviour" of NY in 1973? 

Sam (the lead) played by Jason O'Mara (a fellow Dubliner) sounds way too much like a compilation of parts played by Mel Gibson. I like him and the integrity that he displays. I like that the lead isn't too smart not to be tricked (the acid trip) and I like that he goes against the grain and declines the bribe. My problem with him is that either he is trying too hard to lose his Irish accent, or in the same vein is trying to sound too American.

All in all, this episode has been the best. The "good guys" win sort of. The "bad guys" lose sort of. Oh yeah they left most of the politics out of this episode. They had to put video of Presidents Bush and Nixon as if to say the two were the same at the start of the show. I couldn't hear what was being said, but can only assume what Kelley and company were using the video for. It is only a few days until they crown the next clown isn't it? Oops I got political, my bad.

Be careful what you ask for my American friends. 

No comments: