Saturday, August 16, 2008

We cooked up a storm

I had the distinct privilege of being asked to prepare and cook a rehearsal dinner meal for some very close friends. Jo and I had so much fun doing all the prep work and visiting specialty shops to get the perfect prosciutto and the perfect shrimp and other things too.

We created a timeline to get all the hot food ready in several waves so the brave souls who were delivering the food could get it out to the wedding party and assorted invitees. It worked, I couldn't believe how much food we cooked, but I can tell you that the BBQ was started at 6:00 p.m. and wasn't turned off until 8:30 or so. Food was being cooked in the oven and in the kitchen. When I was cooking either he chicken, sausage or shrimp there was no room on the BBQ. I should have taken pictures, but I was too busy cooking. I made sure to have my trusty 4 wheeler beside me so that I could sit and wheel around and not spend too much time on my feet.

As far as I can tell, everyone loved the food. Sorry Kevin, no leftovers. I'm quite confident that no one went home hungry. I left at about 9:15, I was done like dinner. My daughter came to pick me up, as Jo was still working in the kitchen. I basked in the glow of being given a challenge and accomplishing it. We started off with a plan and we executed the plan the way we expected.

Thanks to Steve and Rosanne a good portion of the last two weeks of my recovery was filled with planning this event and this certainly assisted me to maintain some sanity. It was so nice to have a responsibility and then "work" to make it happen. I miss my job significantly and this was a small way to feel like I do at work when I have accomplished my duties sucessfully.

I'm glad it's done and I'm so happy that everyone enjoyed themselves and the food.

No comments: