Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Books, oh how I love to read

I have finally begun to read again, now that I can comprehend what I'm reading. I think I'm on my third or fourth book so far. I love to read, can you tell? I love the escape and the opportunity to learn and grow from the experiences of others.

Thanks to Bev I am currently reading a book by A.J. Jacobs entitled, "The year of Living Biblically" with the subtitle of "One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible".

One incident that he reminisces about really spoke to me in reference to where I am these days. I have struggled with being content in my protracted illness. The writer (A.J.) recounts a story where he gets locked in the bathroom when the inside door knob falls off bathroom door, thus disabling his ability to exit the bathroom. Mind you, all the door knobs in his apartment are faulty. That's not what struck me, it was his realization that there was nothing he could do about it. It was in that moment, after he had thoroughly observed everything in his bathroom, that he began to pray. He recalls that in this "spiritual" journey as an Agnostic he has had difficulty praying.

He says, "and, perhaps for the first time, I pray in true peace and silence -- without glancing at the clock, without my brain hopscotching from topic to topic. This is what the Sabbath should feel like. A pause."

I realized without too much of a stretch, that his reference to the Sabbath was in some way like my protracted illness or in other words a Sabbatical of sorts. I need to treat this time as a Sabbatical rather than as a time of unrest.

Thanks for the loan of the book, Bev. It may return slightly more dog eared than when it was given, however as a compeer in the love of books and literature, I'm sure you will understand.

No comments: