Monday, August 18, 2008

Look at all the lonely people(with apologies to E. Rigby)

Jo and I did some errands this morning,three to be exact and then went to Harvey's for lunch at about 11:30 a.m.. I was so tired after the errands that I couldn't finish my burger or frings. I kinda felt like a toddler falling asleep in my KD(although I hate KD almost as much as peanut butter).

On another and infinitely more serious note, I couldn't help but notice the number of people (seven to be exact) who were sitting alone and eating their lunch in silence. Now I'm sure that some of them were waiting for some friends, colleagues, spouse or someone, however I felt sad by their aloneness. There are times that I like to be alone, but rarely if ever at meal times. Meal times in our house have always been times of enjoyment, for sharing of information and for a time to deepen our relationships.

The sense of being alone and eating a meal has always struck me as terribly sad. I wonder who these people are, do they have any friends? Are they alone or just lonely, although you don't have to be alone to be lonely. I have found myself in the middle of large meetings in different environments and felt alone.

I wanted to talk to them, to chat and hear what their story is. Why are they alone? Do they need help? Do they want to spend time with another person who will listen. Maybe that's the crux of the matter. How many of us really listen anymore? I'll have to think about this one for a while.

No comments: