Friday, August 29, 2008

I want to go Home

I want to go home. Home, a four letter word that means different and similar things all at the same time. Both my parents have passed, so there is no literal home anymore. I have a family and this building and the four of us make up our home. To many Christians, Heaven is often referred to as home. I was born in Ireland, and I have a longing to go home to Dublin at least one more time. My mother was born and raised Jewish and because of that I have entitlement to citizenship in Israel under the "law of return" and have always wanted to go "home" to Israel.

The greatest longing that I have at this time though seems to be to go to Ireland. I have a strange feeling that I need to reconnect with my past. To see what were once familiar places. To talk to family I haven't seen or spoken to in years. To go to the historical and simple places like the GPO and Moore Street. To walk the streets and remember or to forget and let go. Maybe to say goodbye. I can't put my finger on it yet, but I need to go there. I'm quite sure that there have been monumental changes since I was last there in 1985, never mind since 1969 when all nine of us arrived on September 30th and our lives changed.

I love Canada, I love being Canadian and there is no question that this is where I live and where my physical home is. I wonder why there is such a longing? What is it that calls me, beckons me to return home? Ah, another question to be answered in the quiet of my day. And maybe, just maybe some day soon you'll see a post on this blog from Ireland, wouldn't that be a treat? I'll keep you posted on my plans, if any materialize.

No comments: