Friday, August 1, 2008

After the Flood

What appeared to be a tornado of destruction, turned into an awesome demonstration of love and care for our family. Just over a week ago, a severe storm hit Elmira, a few days later we discovered that we had been the recipients of a flood. Numerous calls to our insurance agency resulted in the anticipated disappointing reply, "we can't help you".

It was time for another type of flood, the flood of despair. I have to admit that I was in the "pit of despair" as I could see no exit. All that was needed to make this worse would have been screaming eels or ROUS's. The light at the end of the tunnel was a train barreling at me. I cried out to the Lord and he sent me two angels with shop vacs to suck up the flood of rain water and the added tears from me. They were quickly followed by a flood of volunteers who did everything from removing damaged underpad, pulling up carpet, disposed of damaged drywall, took off and then cleaned panelling and then restored everything to what likely is better than before the flood.

Now it's time for another flood, this one of thankfulness, grace and appreciation. Thank you to Rick, Sharon, Kevin, Maki, Stan, Jay, Barrett, Ken, Steve, Walt, Craig, Gerry and of course to Jo-Anne who looked beyond my fears and took over the responsibility of making sure all this happened in just over a week.

I am indebted to each of you for your service to me. You treated me with love, care and respect in the midst of a difficult flood and then pulled me out to see all I have to do is ask.

No comments: