Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Update on Rob's recovery

Good morning and welcome to my blog. For those who are new to this, I have wanted to blog for some time and finally figured out how to do it. So here it is. From now on, all updates will be on the blog, feel free to visit and see what's on my mind as well as for updates on this journey called recovery from back surgery. The Obscure Musical Trivia group has seen the blog already.

I am doing quite well. My lungs appear to have cleared up thanks to the prednisone and other things. I do not have a blood clot, although the initial treatment was somewhat brutal (I still have the huge bruise to prove it). I am extremely thankful that I do not have to get any more heparin needles. I see my surgeon in just over a week and look forward to his assessment of my progress to date.

The basement is completely restored following the flood. At this point you would be hard pressed to know that there actually was a flood down there. One of you has offered to come and steam clean the carpets when everything is returned to its' rightful place. I look forward to another visit. Thank so much.

I have struggled emotionally with all the events from the previous two weeks. It has been tough to sit and watch other people come and do all the things that you did in such a short amount of time. It was hard on me not being able to help. Now, those of you who know me very well, will know that I might have been in the way anyway, but I digress. I have learned valuable lessons from each of you. I have also learned that I can trust the Lord and my friends to be there when I need them most. Thank you to those who have shared the "gift of presence" and have just sat and spent time with us over the past 4 weeks or so.

I have been walking outside almost daily and have been able to get to the end of the street(the long way) and back. I am hoping to extend that and will eventually be walking around the block. When I see the Dr. in about two weeks I plan on asking for permission to start riding a bicycle (as opposed to walking). If allowed, I hope to purchase a new bike (like the one I got for Jo-Anne's birthday) and start taking back control of my health. I hope to make riding part of my recovery program and use it to "restore the years of the locust". That's a reference to the book of Joel, chapter 2, verse 25 if you are interested. There are lots of flat riding paths around here, so if permitted, I will be riding the trails as soon as possible...............happy trails to you........!

I have come to a crossroads, I am in the second half of the game and want the second half to be of better health than the first half. It is my intention to make choices that will prolong my life and make it more enjoyable. What all those choices are I do not know at this time. There are things that I have no control over, however, I can choose many things including my attitude, as Viktor Frankl said:

"everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the last of human freedoms, the freedom to choose one's attitude in the midst of one's circumstances"

So there you have it, I am well and looking forward to being even better physically, emotionally and spiritually. Thank you to those who have visited, helped, called, e-mailed, lent libraries of books and most importantly prayed. Were it not for your prayers, I'm quite sure that my recovery would be no where close to where I am today.

I miss seeing my work colleagues and I miss the work too. However (it's not but), I will do exactly what I am told by the Dr. to ensure that when I do return I will be in the best physical health possible and ready to serve the people that I do.

I am always open for e-mails, call, visits and large Double Doubles from Timmies.

Rob

No comments: