Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday Musings (#25)

Tomorrow is "army day" March 4Th. get it?

When I think of that play on words, I am reminded of two people in particular, one is no longer with is and the other is (thanks Chief). Years ago I called him Chief (and no it's not a derogatory term for a member of our first nations) when he was my boss and he began to call me Jimmy, as in the old Superman movies(or were they weekly episodes).

My memories of the people who have been instrumental in my personal and spiritual growth are amazing. I can think of so many people who have given so much of themselves to pour into me so that I could become the person that I am today. I am afraid to think what life would be like without these people. Some I see regularly, some I see annually, some I speak to online because we can never come up with a suitable date to gather our families together and some I see in person. Then there's my beloved who knows all about me(or just about all).

What's most interesting as I write this post is that there are very few people that I have regular contact with who have the depth of knowledge about me as do the ones that I rarely see. I wonder if I am holding back in my current friendships because I'm not sure that the relationship will be beneficial or is it due to a lack of trust? Why is it that men (I'm generalizing, and I think I'm correct) decline to develop deep relationships with other men? I accept that we have been created differently from women, but men (me) have needs to hear and be heard as well, don't we?

I recently spent some time (multiple meetings over two to three months) with a man who is old enough to be my father. It was so good to spend time with someone who listened, asked permission before dispensing advice and demonstrated that he heard me and that he truly cares about me. He has become my "Paul". In the new testament, Paul is a "mentor" to a younger man named Timothy and it is so nice to have someone trustworthy that I can go to and be listened to and heard.

To all my friends and you know who you are, thanks for everything that you have done for me over the years, I look forward to learning more from you as the years continue.

"Happy Tuesday Everyone"

No comments: