Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hockeyville is finally over

That may sound like heresy from someone from Woolwich Township, but to be honest I don't care that Hockeyville 2009 is over and "we" didn't win. I am so glad that it is finally over. There was such an overarching feeling that everyone had to "buy" into this thing and to speak against it (there were a few brave souls) appeared to have been taken as a personal affront of enormous proportions.

Don't get me wrong, the extra money would have helped purchase some extras for the rink that hopefully the entire community would benefit from. I was quite fearful that when the NHL game came to town (and I like others predicted a Boston vs. Atlanta matchup, even though the area is populated with thousands of Leaf fans who would never get a chance to see their team play) that there would be no tickets for the many thousands who supported this bid but were not in the forefront or friends of same. Just to be clear, I was not planning on attending so don't go throwing sour grapes at me.  

I am no crazy hockey hater either. I served the community and Woolwich Minor Hockey for 8 years and 5 of those I was the Association President. I have two children both of whom played hockey here. I have been a fan for many years and in fact I remember watching my first hockey game on tv in the winter of 69/70 just after my family came to Canada. It's just that hockey, like other things has become an idol that is worshipped rather than a game that is enjoyed and my worship is dedicated towards someone much greater than a game.

I'm also not a grumpy old man with nothing better to do. I have priorities in life that do not involve things and I'm not interested in making a name for myself on the backs of others. My priorities are to serve God (He alone is the source of my worship), my family and my community and by doing so I will endeavour to improve the lot of my fellow man and woman.

If all the efforts expended over the last months on Hockeyville (not just here but across the country) were given to serve those who really need it then this world would be a better place. What will happen to the energy that is available? Will we put up signs that say stop the rapeand genocide in Darfur? I doubt it. Will we dress up mannequins on our front lawns to bring attention to the needs of starving children in all parts of the world? I doubt it. Will we do anything now that our efforts at getting another $100,00.00 for the rink have been thwarted? I doubt it. We will go back to our lives, sit in our fancy homes, watch hockey/NASCAR/baseball (you get the point) on our big screen tv's while the rest of the world starves and goes to Hell.

The greed of North American living has to stop.

One day there will be a reckoning.   

No comments: