Sunday, March 15, 2009

One of my heros

I don't ascribe the word hero to too many people. In fact, I can barely think on one or two that deserve to be referred to as a hero. Both of the two that come to mind have endured much in the way of physical illness and so far both are surviving.

One was diagnosed with a rare cancer a few years ago and the doctors cut a 10 pound tumor out of her. Today she is a walking, talking, teaching miracle. I haven't talked to her in a few weeks/months but need to in order to encourage her physically and spiritually. Our families have been close for many years and in spite of many changes our love for each other has grown over these years.

The other is a friend living in South Carolina. I talked to him this evening. He is young (65 years of age or so) and has recently had a few strokes. He is/has been in great physical shape. He always ate well, worked hard at his job, loved his family so much (and still does) and yet he has been stricken with the results of multiple strokes.

We used to attend the same church in St. Catharines and we also sang together in choir. While I was practicing with the choir for our Easter cantata this afternoon and then listening to it this evening, I was struck with the need to call him and chat. His usual strong voice was weak and almost whispery. I regaled him with my memories of times our families spent together and joked about our antics during choir practices and then reminded him of the immense impact that he has had on my life. 

His love for God and his family inspired me many years ago and his example has become part of the passion that burns within me for families today. 

I am reminded that this existence is but a flutter of butterfly wings and we are gone. I need to remind myself that my relationships and friendships are precious and that with the beating of the diaphanous wings time will end and this earthly vessel will be gone. 

In this time, so close to the one year anniversary of the loss of a friend, I am reminded of the precious need to value my friends and family. I have to go and make a few calls.

No comments: