Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tuesday Musing (#47)

Happy Tuesday everyone

It was a dark and stormy night, sounds like the beginning of a children's story, but it's just the way the weather has been now that summer has arrived. Sometimes things arrive as they were expected, some things arrive unexpectedly and some come right out of the blue, which is an appropriate colour, since it is supposed to be summer and the sky is supposed to be blue.

I sent an e-mail yesterday to an old friend on the occasion of his birthday. We don't see each other nearly as often as we should and we are trying to remedy that. In fact, there were years of famine in our friendship, no one knows the reason for the famine, but it was there. And all of a sudden, he called and said that he heard a song that was from a time when we travelled together and felt he needed to reconnect. Since then we have remained in contact usually by e-mail, and I think that we have gathered with the entirety of both of our families on at least one occasion.

What came out of the blue was his response to my e-mail. I will spare you the details but generally he spoke of the depth of our friendship even though it has been rare in the last 20-25 years that we have been together physically. What an encouragement he provided to me in that short missal, or is it epistle?

I wonder why we don't invest in friends enough, or maybe it's me. I have few people that I would consider friends and I have not taken the time to visit upon them the blessings of appreciation that were visited upon me yesterday. I need to spend some time thinking and more than that doing some things with the people I consider friends. One in particular needs to apologised to as I had hoped to spend time with him a couple of weeks ago and my "schedule" got in the way.

How about you. Have many friends? If so, consider yourself blessed. I believe that most of us don't have many that we are completely open to. And if we have any, we have probably have not developed real intimacy (you know what I mean) where we have been transparent and open in those deep friendships. Once again, the words of Harry ring in my head, "we'll get together then "friend" you know we'll have a good time then. Don't have any friends? You are not alone, although this is probably closest to what and how you may feel. If you are reading this because you know me, write me and we can chat, if you don't know me and want someone to chat with send a comment and I will reach out to you. If you are female, my wife will do the reaching.

Thanks Reg, you made my day, and it was your birthday, now that's a friend!

Happy Tuesday everyone

No comments: