Friday, August 21, 2009

The big reveal for the week of Aug.17/09

Good morning music fans and I pray that the folks in Durham are ok after the crazy weather up there yesterday. I have friends that live there and was thankful to hear they are all ok. Funny though, I was through there on Wednesday on a beautiful day in Grey County. Life brings ups and downs no matter who we are. Some bring great opportunities to grow, some just to kvetch and some to teach lessons, my difficulty is determining which is for what reason.

The Woodstock obscure lyric is officially done with this weeks blog. I had no guesses this week. I think, based on my return mail, that most of you are on vacation. Some of you picked a good week. I start vacation (yes again) this afternoon for two weeks. We had planned to go to Virginia to visit Josh, but we have several trips (3) to Sunnybrook planned, so the trip to the good old U.S. is on hold until the fall. We will be spending our Thanksgiving with him.

Here are your answers to this weeks questions:

The name of the song: "With" A Little Help from My Friends
Who wrote it: Lennon and McCartney
Who sang it at Woodstock: Joe Cocker
What exactly was he saying: arrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh (see below)

They took the video off youtube! When I tried to find it on the popular video sharing site the following message showed up: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by WMG." We all know that the "w" stands for warner and we're not talking Kurt the QB.

Now, I am all for copyright and maintaining the financial integrity of an artist, the writer, singer and even the current owners of the Woodstock film rights. But this is crazy, if you submit this song by Joe Cocker and include Woodstock in the youtube search engine, loads and loads of videos show up, but not the one that tries to have a bit of fun. Oh well, censorship is alive and well on the internet, NOT! If I chose to, I could see just about every depravity known to man and yet, I can't have a laugh at a 40 year old version (not virgin) of a song written 42 years ago. What a bunch of white washed sepulchres, oops that line was from someone else and about someone else, I just couldn't deny myself. Here is a sanitized version, it's still one of the "pictures" of Woodstock that comes to my mind when I think about the fair.



Oh well, I'm off as of about 3:00 pm today for two weeks of rest. The blog will continue and I'll probably tease you with some end of summer related tunes, prior to the school year beginning the second week of September. Have an awesome weekend, enjoy the cooler temperatures, your family, friends and loved ones. Remember to take time to see the world, not just the blur as it flies by.

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope"

No comments: