Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tuesday musing # 47

Happy Tuesday everyone

Man it feels like a Monday. I've been off since Friday and feel like I've been away for a while, that's a good thing. Certainly didn't miss the grind for many reasons.

Harry Chapin, in Cats in the Cradle, says: "I want to be like you Dad". It's a song that haunts me because being a Dad is not the easiest thing in the world. It is an amazing opportunity to be a Dad and to watch your kids grow, but it's not easy because kids take on the good and bad qualities that we have and I know more than most of you that I am not perfect and never will be.

My kids are pretty well grown up now and the eldest is pretty much on his own and my youngest is just about to leave the nest and fly on her own. In Chapin's song, he bemoans the fact that he didn't make time for his son when he needed to and now his son has no time for his Dad.

I made the time for my kids, saw almost all their games in every sport that they participated in, went with them on grade 8 trips, got involved in their activities as much as I could and yet I am scared that maybe I missed something. I lead them to the paths and then they must choose which one to follow. Both my (I should say our) kids have decided that they will be of service to others in some way and I guess that's my answer. They want to serve God as best as they can given the gifts and skills that they have.

If that's being like me, I guess I did alright and that's a pretty good deal. I am not perfect, I did what I have always expected from them in everything they did: I did my best.

Happy Tuesday everyone

No comments: