Monday, August 24, 2009

So much to Say #2

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"


I went to the Dr. the other day with a few questions hoping to get some answers and I think that I now have more questions and less answers. Out of that appointment and doing some time with a phlebotomist, it's all come to this: they tell me I have Andropause. I asked, "is this for real" or is it just another bad joke, unfortunately, the Dr.(who I trust and appreciate) advised me that it really is what it sounds like and trust me it does what they say it will do.

So, I get to deal with andropause. Less humanely referred to as male menopause. I now have the pleasure of getting regular shots of testosterone to try to fight off the symptoms, most of which mirror the symptoms of menopause. There were other methods of delivery, but the shot every two weeks at least allows me to drop my drawers in front of a nurse with a sharp object filled with thick serum that's supposed to hurt. So far(three shots down) the anticipated pain has not arrived.

Why am I writing about this? I wonder how many men out there have experienced this and have no one to talk to about it. I would love to chat with someone who has gone through this so that I can speak to someone who understands the male perspective on this mostly hidden affliction.

I live in an community where the "learned" refrain to any adversity is either is "suck it up" or it's "the Lord's will" based on a complete misunderstanding of scripture and a lack of compassion. I need to state that not everyone abides by the refrain and not everyone agrees with the refrain, but, too many of the people that I have been able to rub shoulders with subscribe to the approach. There are some who do not and I appreciate them for their reality. Unfortunately, there are too few like Mrs C. and the Mechanic who are so real and who care deeply no matter what and will always be there to lend a hand(or bring a tractor) when needed.
I have started to read a book called mid-life manual for men and wonder of this tome has any comments about Andropause. I have begun to develop a new friendship with a man who also sees the hardness in the "suck it up" crowd and we intend to be compassionate to each other and to others as we walk this walk.

No comments: