Friday, November 7, 2008

The U.S. election: part 2

The attached clip is from a blog entitled www.tundratabloid.blogspot.com  and details a documentary "from Clinton to Obama" by a Swedish television crew. I do not agree with all that I read on the Tundra Tabloid, but this video appalled me. This video is what I was/am most afraid of with the extreme polarization of some american people and politics with the most recent election. What I find most heinous is the reverse racism that is displayed by this teacher. 



I will pray that people will come together and work as one for the ideals that have been set out in their constitution. I will pray for our own country that we will learn from the foibles of others and never look down on anyone but build them up. I will pray for wisdom for the leaders as they govern.

Our responsibility is to pray for those in positions above us, like our political leaders.

3 comments:

Perry D. said...

OK. Now I see what you're talking about.

In order to understand what's going on here, you'd need to go through a long and painful process which, to be honest, you seem fairly eager (or at least willing) to avoid.

When I was a young man, I was very spiritual, and self-righteous, and smug, and mostly concerned about living my own life well -- not in a selfish way, but in the sense of treating those around me as well as possible, and living with as much integrity as I could manage. And I was quite happy to leave the political questions to others.

Then, one otherwise fine day, one of my courses had a guest lecturer, who walked in and said: "First of all you need to understand that the decision not to get involved in politics is a political decision."

This made a lot of people uncomfortable, including my smug and righteous self, because it cut a big scar across what we had previously believed, in a way we couldn't ignore, or deny, or "repair".

This video clip, the story it represents, the tundra tabloid, and the bloggers they link to (malkin, lgf, debbie s, and so on) are like the little bits of skin that fall off when you pick up an onion: Unpleasant and annoying, but ultimately quite meaningless, and -- if taken at face value -- entirely misleading.

Those little bits of skin don't show you what the middle of the onion looks like, any more than tundra tabloid shows you what's going on at the heart of American politics. They are merely artefacts, and not especially helpful ones, either.

Perry D. said...

And here's the crux of the matter, I think: If you cut into that onion, it's going to make you cry.

So the question for you is: Do you want to do it anyway, or would you prefer ignorance = bliss?

Seanchai said...

interesting analogy, the onion.
As to the heart of things, I prefer to stay where I have positioned myself, praying for all in position over me, turning the cheek and loving those who otherwise might attempt to run over me. Once again, thankfully I do not reside in the U.S. I fear for the future of much of the world, if hatred of any kind flourishes and opinions are disallowed by might or perceived rights.

I'll go ahead and cut the onion, I'm always open to change and challenge. My bliss is secure as are my values that will never be changed. "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus and His righteousness" all else beyond that is dross.