Sunday, November 9, 2008

Embarrassed by Riches

I heard someone (Marie W.) speak in our church today about the work being done with the folks who live in a squatter village in Bastion, Ecuador. I was shocked and embarrassed by the amount of "things" that I have amassed over these almost 51 years. These resilient people depend on "us" for so much and they appear to be so happy with so little. If you would like to see what some people are doing to assist them check out the link at 

http://lifechangeadventures.org/ecuador09/

Seeing scores of people(men, women and children) enjoying a simple craft that was made from things we will regularly throw away completely embarrasses me as I await the things that I will receive on my birthday in a few days. The question is what will I do with the riches I have? Jesus is quoted by Dr. Luke when He tells a parable and I paraphrase what He says: "to whom much is given, much is expected". I am having a very difficult time reconciling my possessions and dreams for a home renovation when I see photos of someone who lives on "nothing".

Even the opportunity to support a child or family seems too little. What in the world am I doing to assist those less fortunate? What are you doing to assist those less fortunate? If you would like more info, please chat with me, I will put you in touch with those people who are assisting the folks in bastion.  

No comments: