Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tuesday Musings (#11)

It's Tuesday, time for a dose of what is keeping me awake and won't leave my mind. I was literally kept awake last night from 12:55 a.m. until about 4:00 or so and I am really struggling with some things.

One of them is death. I made a glib comment last Friday night(Date Night) to my beloved about a song that was playing on the ipod as one of the songs that I want played at my funeral. I watched as tears flowed down her cheeks at my lack of sensitivity to what would be a great loss for her. We are currently watching and waiting as the brother of our closest friends (the carpenter and the bonnet babe) moves closer to eternity. It really upset my beloved that I was talking about my own eventual promotion. Death really sucks. It is usually associated with some tragic accident happening or the eventual loss of ones parents who we have been with us all our life. From a corporeal perspective, death is the end. It means goodbye, or maybe even no chance for goodbye as was the circumstance 7 1/2 months ago. It leaves us with a bad taste, tears and gut wrenching loss. It leaves us many questions, rarely answered.

Death from a Christian perspective leaves us with some joy. Paul writes in his letter to the Thessalonians, "we sorrow not like those who have no hope". That is the lot of the Christian, we have hope. And the hope referred to here is not like hoping for a particular birthday gift that may or may not come, hope here refers to the knowledge that something will happen and an assurance that it will occur.

Death sucks that's for sure, it separates us from those we love. The cause and/or reason for death also sucks, but, there is hope. The hope that we will be reunited one day in a far better place where there will be no dying, no death, no tears and no pain. If that's what kept me up last night, then I will enjoy the waking hours today because it really is a happy Tuesday, no matter what.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

No comments: