Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering Sept.11/01

There are times in my life where the memories are as clear as the last few moments of this morning. I remember when JFK was shot, I remember when John Lennon was shot, I remember the day our family left Ireland. I remember our wedding day and the birth of our children.

I also remember exactly where I was and who I was with on 9/11. I remember listening to the radio on my way to a mediation and hearing the announcer(Pat Marsden, I think) talk about a plane hitting one of the buildings. I mentioned it to the people I met with and went ahead with my meeting thinking it was some small plane.

As I travelled back to the office, more details came out and I remember Bob S. hooking up the TV with some rabbit ears so we could watch the news. I remember that one of our former office colleagues (Ruth) had family in one of those towers and the fear that she exuded.

I just wanted to get home and hug my family. I knew in my heart that something terribly wrong had occurred and I only wanted to be with those closest to me. I knew no one in those buildings however I felt that the world had shrunken significantly that day. This was no longer an us and them situation, rather it was us.

What has happened to forgiveness? When will we learn to "turn the other cheek" and stop taking up arms? I'm sure there is much fault to go around but when do we start to treat our fellow man with the love and respect that we demand for ourselves? What right does anyone have to take another life? I've never been accused of being a pacifist (not that there's anything wrong with being a pacifist), however, the more I read the teachings in scripture, the more I need to demonstrate love and not hatred.

As I sit here and recall those terrible hours on 9/11, I need to be mindful of my attitude towards all people, not just the ones that I agree with. I do not have to agree with your theology or lifestyle, your politics or your approach to life, rather I have to show love in all my dealings with you. If I choose to do that, it will make a difference.

1 comment:

Perry D. said...

I've been reading about the attacks of September 11th for seven years now and this is the first time I have ever seen anyone mention 9/11 and forgiveness in the same breath.

I found that remarkable.

I'm not sure who could be forgiven or for what, but you've given me something to think about, at least.

Thanks and best wishes.