Saturday, September 27, 2008

Reading, resting, listening and remembering.

I'm listening to my many advice contributors and doing what I'm told(for a change) today. I'm resting, drinking a lovely cup of Irish tea, listening to some of my favourite tunes and doing some reading.

Currently, Lilywhite Lilith  and the rest of "The Lamb lies down on Broadway" is playing. Amazing singing by Gabriel and musicianship by the rest of the lads. I remember the first time I heard this album, I was sitting in my kitchen in 1975 listening to a barely perceptible FM radio station as they played the entire album for the first time. I wasn't that impressed at first, it takes time to warm up to this album(and most of the music of Genesis to be honest). When I finally heard it clearly, I was duly impressed. This is a live version and even with the overdubs that were added in production, I love it.

As to my reading material, I am currently reading "The Shack", by William P. Young. It's a story about "Mack"  who is in the midst of the "Great Sadness" a period that was brought on by the loss of his daughter. The jacket notes speak of of the timeless question, "where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?"

Those of you who know us will know that we have experienced life changing tragedy just under six months ago and there are many of us who have rightfully asked the question that the book poses about the whereabouts of God. Some, more deep in their faith than I, have already come to the realization that God was there and will be here as he has promised, "the same yesterday, today and tomorrow" as well as the promise to "never leave us or forsake us".

I'll keep the blog posted on my progress, be aware that I may share some details of the book that might be considered as "spoilers", so I will put that in the title.

Have a great Saturday, particularly if it is your Shabbat.  Interesting that Genesis and Shabbat have come together in the blog, since Shabbat was instituted by God in the book of Genesis after the Creation. 

Kinda makes you want to go......hmm.  

No comments: