Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesday Musings Sept.9/08

This is the first in a series called "Tuesday Musings" which are random thoughts that just won't go away.

Does anyone else feel guilty about all the destruction in the world and the relative calm that we live in? There are wars, rumours of war, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes and all kind of natural and man made disasters. Yet, here in South Western Ontario we live in relative comfort with cool houses in the summer and warm in the winter. Am I the only one that wonders when our time will come?

We (generally speaking) fixate on the dollar and forget about the widows and orphans (figuratively speaking). I'm sure that some of us give a little but to try to assuage our guilt but I don't think it really works. Can we really put our head on the pillow and sleep soundly knowing that there is so much need and we drive our new cars and watch our big TV's and cluck our tongues at the tragedy in the world?

I believe that a reckoning is coming. I think that the fall of the big banks in the U.S. is just the beginning. I am no prophet (put down your stones) I just wonder when the other shoe is going to drop. What then, if all our security is in the dollar so fixated upon, then what? I have no interest in walking around with a sandwich board saying the end is coming because it's coming for me too.

I need to review my priorities and see what I am doing that can be eliminated and in turn begin to do things that benefit others not just myself. Is there anyone else out there that thinks like this or am I just spittin' in the wind?

1 comment:

wannabeergo said...

Very well put! My wife and I were talking about the very same thing last night watching the news, and we were not clucking our tongues :-) Volunteering in our community is one way we find that we help. But there is probably more we can do as well!