Monday, September 22, 2008

Happy Birthday, Bilbo and Frodo

If you are a Tolkien fan, then you already know that today is Bilbo and Frodo's birthday. If you are not a fan, you can stop reading now.

I'm a big fan of Tolkiens work, his hero's are unusual types. They are the ones who would be picked last for the baseball game (I'm not sure they had baseball games). He took (pun intended) the smallest and used them to bring down the big and mighty.

There's a lot to be said for the work of Tolkien, for me it is always an opportunity to "lose myself" in the story and be transported to different lands on a quest to rid the world of evil.

That's really what we all want isn't it? To get rid of that which threatens our very existence. In the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, that which seemed so beautiful was ultimately evil and controlling. Much like our lives today, the things that seem beautiful may lead to death and destruction, the choice is ours.

I seem to have lost my birthday celebrations in thoughts about good and evil. There is only good to be considered on a birthday. I'm not sure how old either of them are on this day, it doesn't really matter. I'll get to the "Prancing Pony" or some other establishment and raise a glass in their honour.

Happy Birthday indeed!

No comments: