Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chasing the Wind

I've begun to read the book of Ecclesiastes as part of my daily Bible reading. I remember several years ago sitting in a small group study of this book. Most of us were frustrated by the word usage, metaphors and the utter "meaningless" statements. A voice piped up, rarely heard, who stated "this is some of the most beautiful poetry I have ever heard". In an instant, the tenor of the conversation changed and we were once again challenged to see and hear the words differently.

And so, I began today to read these words again. How timely. It's usually a few chapters a day of old and new testaments as well as a portion of a Psalm and one or two lines from the Book of Proverbs.

Most of you will recognize the Byrds song, "turn, turn turn". This was taken directly from the book of Ecclesiastes, chapter 3, verses 1 through 8. The writer, King Solomon (of the book, not the song) talks about the meaninglessness of life without God. He tried everything and discovered that it was all just meaningless (or vanity, another translation writes: vanity, vanity, all is vanity) and was about as helpful as "chasing the wind". Later, in Chapter 12, Solomon gives an answer: "fear God and obey His commands, for this is everyone's duty".

I've just given a "readers digest" version of the Book of Ecclesiastes. There is much more than what I've seen or read. I'm planning on doing more than "chasing the wind" as I look forward to re-establishing relationships particularly at work and other areas.

2 comments:

Pastor Kevin said...

Read the same passage today... Never a good read when you're feeling grumpy and that every you do is useless :-)

Perry D. said...

And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

-- Solomon (Ecclesiastes 1:17-18)


He who learns must suffer, and even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

-- Aeschlus / RFK