Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tuesday Musings (#16)

Good morning and Happy Tuesday.

I've been thinking a lot about Christmas and all that surrounds it for a while (haven't we all). I really love Christmas for it's significance in my faith, for the family gatherings, for the music, for the happiness that I see in most people, for the simple memories and the new ones too. I love A Charlie Brown Christmas as noted in a previous post.  

I've been thinking a lot about the Peace that was promised to be delivered to us at the first Christmas. Oftentimes in the midst of a war or conflict the opposing sides will agree to a period of time during Christmas where the hostilities will be put on hold. The prophet Isaiah who lived in the second half of the 8th century before Christ wrote these words in the ninth chapter of his writings: "for unto us a child is born.....and His name shall be........... Prince of Peace......" among other things.  

So, what is peace? Is it just the absence of conflict? In reading about this word Peace, I knew that the Hebrew word for peace is Shalom, which comes from the root word of Shalam which I learned is usually used in the context of restitution. The verb Shalam means to make whole or complete, the noun Shalom has the more literal meaning of being in a state of wholeness or with no deficiency. (Thanks to the good folks at the Ancient Hebrew Research Center for some of this info).

So, we've got Peace, restitution, wholeness and with no deficiency. What does this peace mean to me? It means that I have the opportunity to make restitution to those I may have hurt or harmed along the paths I have tread. It means wholeness, being without loss. It means walking through this Christmas season being whole despite the losses I have endured over the years. It means that I come to this Christmas offering my best without reservation.

May the Prince of Peace bring you just that.

Happy Tuesday everyone  

No comments: