Friday, December 26, 2008

The big reveal for the week of Dec.22/08

Wow, it's Friday already and I missed doing a Christmas post. I guess that I spent all of the trivia time doing Christmas music made up for my busy schedule and not writing about Christmas. I trust that each of you had an amazing Christmas time with family and friends. I enjoyed the time with my family and hosted dinner for my in-laws yesterday. We had loads of food and this was my first full meal done in the new kitchen. We enjoyed it and the new appliances worked so well.

Only one person wrote in this week and yes Lori S. you are correct, the song is "O come, O come Emmanuel".  I really liked the verse that I chose as it speaks of His coming and dispersing the gloomy clouds of night as well as the shadows of death being put to flight. We celebrate Christmas in many ways, the primary reason is to celebrate the coming of Messiah whose birth and eventual death paved the way for eternal life.

Here are the answers:

The name of the song/poem: O come O come Emmanuel.
The original language it was written in: Latin.
The meaning of the title: Emmanuel means "God with us".

I will bring something new in the new year for the obscure lyric. I pray that each of you will have a blessed new year as well as one with continued Peace, Joy and good health. My practice has been to place a quote about music at the end of the big reveal, I wanted something different for this one and found this quote from that famed philosopher and theologian............ Dr. Seuss. 

"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?"

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess I didn't get it until now - now that I have my own blog and look forward to all comments that come my way! Happy New Year to you and your family, and looking forward to getting together in 2009. You know we'll have a good time then! Chief