Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tuesday Musings (#13)

Good Tuesday morning to you.

I have decided to read "Christmas" related material for the month of December. I've started with "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. It has been so long since I have read it. I sat down by the fire last night with a nice cup of tea and began to read the foreword in the particular version I recently purchased. I am also planning on taking a tour through the gospels, particularly the book of Luke as well as through the old testament passages that prophesied the birth of Jesus.

The Christmas season is regularly referred to as Advent. It's called Advent for a reason, Advent comes from the Latin Adventus which means arrival or approach. So as I anticipate the arrival or approach of the Christmas season I need to prepare myself for the season.

For most, it's baking, shopping, looking at lights or whatever suits their fancy and it usually keeps us way too busy. In the midst of this crazy mixed up world that we call 2008, I have decided to take time to read both the secular and religious texts about this time.

Interestingly (that's for you Perry D.), A Christmas Carol speaks of one man's(Scrooge) journey from darkness to light or from loss to redemption during the story. Just as the story of Christmas tells the story our loss and redemption and the choices we get to make. I will take the time to read and enjoy the texts and hopefully grow and be redeemed.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

"Merry Christmas one and all"

No comments: