Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tuesday Musing (#14)

Good Tuesday morning everyone. Well the weather outside is lovely and the snow is pretty and the rain is on its' way. Oh well we have no control over the weather unless we choose to move to Phoenix. Not a bad idea, I'll bet the hockey tickets are cheaper, too.

"sticks and stones will break your bones and words will never hurt you" is such a mistruth. I have learned that words will hurt, the tongue is the most powerful muscle in the body. No one is exempt from being a recipient of the verbal attacks that can so easily be unleashed. More importantly, none of us (the writer included) are prevented from using the tongue to inflict punishment on others by way of the power of words.

So what to do in this quandary? An old colleague used the phrase "choose my words with an eye dropper" and this is a good start, but it isn't perfect. It only takes one word to destroy a person, their character and their life. So measurement is not the answer. The answer is to control the tongue and this is achieved by surrendering my attitudes and discriminatory behaviours and placing the wants, needs and concerns of others before my own.

"ancient words, ever true, changing me and changing you, I will come with an open heart, Oh let the ancient words impart"

Happy Tuesday everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keyword Phoenix