Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tuesday Musings (#15)

Good Tuesday morning all. I did not ask permission from my wife and/or kids before completing this post. I'm sure they will forgive me. Recently, someone said to me "are there any normal families" and I responded by saying, well mine is not.

Normal and families is as much an oxymoron as Iron Butterfly (In-A-Gadda-Da- Vida) or Jumbo Shrimp(mmmm I love shrimp). There is no such thing as a normal family. Take my family for example, my beloved and I came from diametrically opposed backgrounds in so many ways and we've been blessed with 27 years of marriage and are still going strong. My kids are so different it's amazing that they came from the same den. I was there and I can prove that they did. They have such different personalities, the one that should act like a baby acts like a first born and the first born often acts like the last born (I didn't call him a baby).

I have been exposed to so many families over the years that my scientific (not really) research proves one thing, no one is normal and oh by the way, who decides what normal is anyway? I am not about to tread through the minefield of traditional and not so traditional families, that is not the purpose of this post. If you know me, then you know where I stand on that discussion on family.

Then there is the family that pastes the happy face on for social occasions and we all know that most of us have done that on some or more than some occasion. I can think of walking into church and seeing the phony smiles and realizing that they(or was it us) have just had a huge fight in the van (thankfully we don't have one of those anymore). They have to paste the happy smile on just to show that they are a normal family.

Or maybe it's just me. Maybe the whole world really is "normal" and we're not. If that's the case, I'll stay with abnormal. At least we're real and not phony. Normal is just a setting on your dryer anyway.

Happy Tuesday everyone and Merry Christmas.

No comments: