Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Reading in the sunshine

Oh what a glorious day it has been.

I spent some time reading The Lord of The Rings and listening to the soundtrack of all three films at the same time. I didn't get through all the sound tracks mind you, but I did get through about half the first chapter. For accuracy's sake, I read from half the first chapter to half the second chapter.

I am amazed how much more detail I get each time I read the book. I haven't read them in years, but there is so much to get from them. In fact, one of my favourite quotes is from the first portion of the book. In the film, it is saved for Gandalf's chat with Frodo while stuck in Moria, but in the book it actually happens in Bag End. Frodo exclaims: "I wish it need not have happened in my time" and Gandalf says to Frodo, "so do I , and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us".

Wow, "all" is so encompassing, "decide" is so powerful, "time" is limited by what is "given" to us. To be sure the events that life has given me over the last two plus years have provided me with an array of experiences. Just sitting in the sunshine, enjoying words and music cause me to think so much about life. Life, with is seeming unfairness sometimes stinks. In spite of the depth of my faith, I sometimes just want to rail at life and scream why! Maybe it's the depth that stops me when I look at people like Job or Paul or Peter or Jesus and see that they too lived a life that was "unfair". I recall my retort to my children when they complained about the unfairness of life and I would say: "life's not fair" and it isn't.

Reading in the sunshine reminds me that in the beauty of all that is good, there remains that which is evil and because of that evil we live in an unfair and imperfect world. All I have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to me................hmm what will I decide to do?

No comments: