Monday, May 25, 2009

Tuesday Musings (#37)

Happy Tuesday everyone

I'm still on a high (emotional not chemical) from the last weekend. I enjoyed my time with my colleagues so much that I have been basking in the glow of our friendship since the weekend started and unfortunately ended. In fact the weekend started before we arrived, even the anticipation (cue Carly Simon and Heinz) was fabulous.

Why is a gathering of people who developed a friendship relationship by seeing one another maybe twice a year for 10 years so strong? I'd hazard a guess that some of us saw the absurdity of others and decided that the only way out was to stick together. Others might say that in the face of overwhelming apathy by most of the others galvanized some to choose to look beyond the normal social barriers and initiate transparency so that any perceived walls would fall.

In the face of the different dynamics of race, colour, creed, background and more differences, some of us have developed life long friendships. When was the last time you heard two unrelated hetero men say that they love each other without any concerns about stereotyping or condemnation? So what am I going on about this morning?

Why and how is it that although I travel in multiple groups of people very few of these groups permit such transparency? This group started as two groups who were diametrically opposed based on individual makeup and the attitude of some. At one point we became a group not two and then some of us developed deep honest and open friendships. My experience is that no matter who and where you are, it takes great risk and courage to be transparent and the reward is overwhelmingly positive. I have the great privilege to call these fine folk my friends.

Happy Tuesday everyone

No comments: