Saturday, May 9, 2009

Surprise visits and other things

I love surprise visits.

I love just doing it, seeing someone and then inviting them to a meal and enjoying the time together. Just this morning, two members of our small group were out checking out the garage sales and then dropped in to visit with me.

How cool is that, we just sat and chatted and then they were gone. I love my small group. I love that we all have grown in our relationship with God and each other over these past few years. The members have come and gone but the core has remained and we get along well and we challenge and encourage each other without restraint.

This is what church is supposed to be as far as I am concerned. Church is a group of people who spend time together learning about and from God, worshipping Him and then looking for opportunities to serve others so that they too will experience the love that we have received. As much of a traditionalist that I am, church is not about traditions, special clothes(like dressing up for church), special music, money or any of the other sacred cows that need to be slaughtered on the altar of sacrifice.   

Sometimes I just want to scream at the things that distract us from our true calling, worshipping and serving God. There are several ways that I experience closeness with God, when I sing and when I am silent. The silence of the monastery is such a passionate time for me. I discover what is pressing to me and more importantly, I listen. 

When was the last time you prayed and didn't speak or even consider your own needs and listened in your heart for what that "still small voice" had to say? Lately I have been spending my prayer time in complete silence and just observing my surroundings. Usually, I ramble on and acknowledge, confess, thank, and supplicate(ACTS), but I have seen the need for me to be silent. An old chorus based on Habakkuk 2:20 went like this,

 "the lord is in his holy temple, let all the earth keep silence"  

I have been silent and have heard His voice and I have tried to listen and follow His direction. 

No comments: