Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tuesday Musings # 35

I have been thinking about mediocrity lately. What an amazing word that is, just the sound of it make me think about its origins. I have been unable to accurately determine where the word came from, but when I find out I will post it. If you know the history and the basis for it either Latin or Greek please feel free to help me out.

When I think of mediocrity, I think of just getting by, of doing what is barely necessary to accomplish a task. I really would like to see myself and others driven to the point that mediocre is not acceptable. Whatever happened to striving for excellence? When did we begin to accept just passing. Please do not misunderstand me, I am not looking for perfection and I know I will never get to that point. Neither do I or have I ever placed an expectation on my children to accomplish perfection.

I have always challenged them to "do their best" and if they accomplished that, then whatever result they received was accepted. In numerous arenas that I travel, I see mediocrity and I am appalled by it. Charles Swindoll wrote a book entitled "Living above the level of Mediocrity" and that should be the goal for all persons. If we accepted that challenge, would things be better? I wonder what would happen if we agreed what is the the best and we strove towards it?

Happy Tuesday everyone

No comments: