Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lakeside Park

With the Mat 2-4 weekend nearly upon us, I am drawn as always to that great Rush song, "Lakeside Park". Why, I spent many hours just:

"sitting in the sand to watch the fireworks display"

I have so many memories of my high school years spending time in "Port" and hanging around and just enjoying the great park with friends. I arrived there for the first time early in the winter of 1969-1970 and remember walking in the park with my Dad seeing the old carnival building falling more and more into disrepair. The merry go round was falling apart and it wasn't repaired for several years after that, sometime before 1975 I think. In the spring my Dad and I would drive golf balls from one end to the other.

In high school, we spent innumerable hours there and at friends houses doing what teenagers do, no descriptions needed I am sure. We discovered the joy of Frisbee and spending time with friends and making new ones (usually girls from the Collegiate or Grantham and even D.M.). It was our place and our time to live and learn most of life's adventures. The port was great and Murphy's hadn't been rebuilt yet, at times it was pretty decrepit, but it was our place to be.

Just as Peart enjoyed the memories of his time at Lakeside Park, so did I and so many former members of Lakeport High School and others. It's not the same though and memories are best left that way, as memories. Nothing can bring back the life that it was, but the memories will last forever.

"though it's just a memory, some memories last forever"

Enjoy the May 2-4 weekend wherever you are. I know that at sometime during the weekend, I will sit and listen to "Lakeside Park" and reminisce of those times gone by. Maybe this is the weekend to start calling some old friends and begin a mini reunion?

No comments: