Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday Musings # 36

Good morning it's Tuesday and it's the first day after a long weekend.

I spent four hours washing and primping my car yesterday, I said primping not pimping. I have a significant amount of disgust with the word pimping. The acceptance of a generalized use of the word "pimp" should be offensive to all people, especially women. The entire existence of one who would be referred to as a "pimp" is one of subjugation of women for financial and other reasons.

What is happening to the language and what is happening to the collective souls of people today. At what point does the acceptance of something that is wrong stop? Often people refer to the slippery slope of life, I think we are already halfway down the mountain and there is very little opportunity to stop before we crash.

What about you? Where have you allowed the culture to define who you are? When will you stop being defined by something or someone else? I for one want to be defined by who I am and the values that I try to demonstrate, but "aye theres the rub", who am I?

Recently in a discussion in our small group, we began to discuss who we are and I posed the question "am I just a collection of actions (the things I do) or am I more than that" We had a terrific discussion and the discussion continues. If I am just a collection of the things that I do and for that I am loved and appreciated, then life is all about performance. If on the other hand I am loved and respected for more than that, what makes up the portion of me that is not action?

I personally don't think life is all about performance, how about you? Are you just a series of behaviours that define who you are? Or, is there more to you and can you define who you are without attaching actions to yourself in that definition?

Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments: