Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tuesday Musings # 52

Happy Tuesday Everyone

I have been doing this portion of the blog thing for 52 weeks, a year of musing. What drives me to do this weekly? I really don't know, I think that my obsessive nature (yeah I've noticed) has caused me to press on particularly on days when I thought I had nothing much to say. I guess that is the point, there is almost always something rattling around the cobweb recesses of my thought palace that want/need/have to come out and something causes them to erupt each Tuesday morning.

The insanity of the shortness of life boggles and amuses me. Teens think they are impervious to death and pain, and then they suffer their first broken heart. The 20 somethings think they have it all together and then they get married, mortgaged, loans up the wazoo and struggle to keep up with everyone else (including the Jones'). As this journey progresses, the 30's hit(I hated my 30's) and then the slide begins, before I realized it I (and the rest of us) was more than half way there. I don't expect to live to 100. Now that the threshold of fifty has been crossed I find myself dabbling with thoughts of death more often than before. I don't think it's morbid, you may though. It is going to happen, the reaper (love that song and I don't fear him) is waiting with his bony finger poised to point at all of us at some time. Why is the grim reaper considered a male figure anyway, what phylogynist or misandrist started that lie? Oops I'm going off course here.

It's what death brings that I think most of us might be afraid of. The cause is probably the biggest fear. I want to go like my friends father, in bed "playing cards" with my wife. But, I don't get to choose. I have been close before, I remember getting closer and fading further and then feeling tubes being drawn out of my throat and being told to breathe on my own. That's definitely fodder for another post when I have the strength to tell all, no there were no lights, I wasn't abducted by aliens and I didn't hear music, but I did see.........some things.

Then again, as a Christ follower, I am supposed to not fear death. Because I go down into the "valley of the shadow of death" I tread that path "not" like those who have no hope. We're not talking about hoping for the, Leafs are going to win a cup, kind of hope. This hope speaks more to a confident knowledge without a shadow of a doubt that I know where I am going when I pass towards the Grey Havens and off to heaven. And I do and I am not afraid. Some days I have even looked forward to it. But, short cuts make long delays, so I'm not about to hurry the dustification process for any reason.

One year had passed and what have I done to make things better for the human race (I can't say person race and I'm not apologizing). For some reason, my thoughts regularly come to that point. What have I done to help someone else grow, become better at what they do, or who they are? I hope(like the Leafs are going to win a cup) that a word, maybe two will cause you to stop. Then when you have pulled yourself together, either because of the laughter or even the tears, that you will say yes I can do something to make the life of someone else better and that regular challenge from Rob was the catalyst that started me on that road.

Happy Tuesday Everyone and Happy Anniversary too

No comments: