Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tuesday Musing #54

Happy Tuesday everyone

In my through the bible reading I have finally reached the new testament. While I don't understand all that I have read, I have read everything from Genesis to where I am now, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. I have been reading the bible from a chronological perspective as opposed to the standard book after book process.

As I finished the old testament last week, I realized again that the message of all those book was for the people of Israel to be obedient. I've been thinking about obedience a lot based on my reading. David, the shepherd boy, giant slayer, murderer, King, writer, adulterer and man after God's own heart wrote, "to obey is better than sacrifice".

Why does the word obey have such a negative connotation these days. It used to be part of a marriage covenant, but due to the homogenization of our language and behaviour and the political correct movement it is no longer acceptable for people to honour and obey each other.

I have also be reading a lot about marriage as I am facilitating a large group Sunday school in a study entitled: "Love and Respect". I can hear a few people seeing the word respect and having some difficulty with the notion. The premise for the study is found in the new testament letter from Paul to the people of Ephesus (the Ephesians). Paul writes (and I paraphrase) "submit one another to Christ, husbands love your wives as Christ loves the church and gave himself up for her, and wives respect your husbands".

The portion of the letter here calls for mutual submission to God and each other and then with that approach to life, love and respect and expected. Apparently, the Greek language used here refers to the "agape" love, or unconditional love and respect is not based on performance ie. the husband does not have to earn the respect.

Why is this so important to me on this rainy cold Tuesday morning? I have learned much as I have prepared to lead this study again (I previously lead it with a small group of 10-12 people). I have learned that I need to love my beloved more. That doesn't mean that love is to do more things:

"it means to to love is to be patient, kind, not jealous, boastful, proud or rude, love does not demand it's own way, it is not irritable and does not keep a record of being wronged, it does not rejoice about an injustice, but rejoices when the truth wins out, love never gives up, never loses faith, love is always hopeful and endures though every circumstance". 1 Cor:13, 4-7

Is it possible to love as is described above? I have serious doubts about my ability to achieve that standard, but it is a standard that I am called to. I am told to obey and if my obedience to the standard causes my beloved to be loved, then what's wrong with obedience? Nothing of course, except one thing, me! To accomplish this, I must put her first, not me. I must make my wishes second and hers first, so that I demonstrate my love for her unconditionally (agape).

I never know where this Tuesday post is going to go, kinda makes you want to go hmmmmmm, doesn't it?

Happy Tuesday everyone

No comments: