Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Afternoon off, going to see leafs vs. Pens

I have the afternoon off. A rarity in my life. I am heading to the big city to see the Leafs play against the Penguins. I am taking my daughter to see her first pro hockey game. We are both very excited and looking forward to seeing some great hockey, up close. I will post some pics after we return home, but not tonight cause I don't expect to get home until midnight or later.


I have been a fan of hockey for almost 40 years. In 8 days we will celebrate our family's 40th anniversary of coming to Canada. When we arrived I remember seeing hockey for the first time and watching the Boston Bruins and some 21 year old kid who could dance on the ice. And then there was "the goal" scored on May 10, 1970.


I remember that year, I was a a new kid in this country, watching hockey, completely ignorant of the game and somehow loving it despite my ignorance. For some strange reason I switched from the big bad bruins to the Maple Leafs. Maybe it's because they have struggled since before I arrived (no relationship there at all). Maybe it's because one of my best friends liked them, maybe it's because they are the "local" team. I don't know why, but I love the Leafs.


I remember my first game at Maple Leaf Gardens. It was Derek Sanderson's first game after returning from a battle with substance abuse. I was with Reg, one of my closest friends then and even now. Tonight, I introduce my daughter to the great game live and in colour (Blue and White). She has played for 4 years, but is so pumped to see them oh yeah and Sidney Crosby too.

Go Leafs Go

No comments: