Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tuesday Musings # 51

Happy Tuesday everyone

Much of my thought life this week has already been shadowed by Sept.11, 2001. I have no idea why, but I have been haunted by the images that I saw 8 years ago. I knew no one, I know no one and I have never met anyone who was related to anyone in those attacks. I have been afraid much of my life, I think I have to unwrap that little sentence sometime, but the attacks that day made me more afraid. Afraid of what? That is the question (sorry Bill).

That day is etched in my mind (and we're not talking etch a sketch. I remember where I was when I first heard the initial news, I remember what customers I was visiting, I remember the day and I remember vividly the discussions on the radio as I travelled back to the office. I recall the tv in the office and Bob trying to attach "rabbit ears" so we could see. My primary thought that day was I need to be at home with my family and I wanted to hug my wife and kids. Josh was 14 and Alex was 10.

Why do some zealots determine it "right" to kill innocent people? Are we not all innocent, with the exception of the Manson's of the world and others who we know are guilty of murder? Does anyone deserve death via suicide bomber? Before you take umbrage with my "one sided" rant yes, I am aware of atrocities committed by so called christians in the past. Did people deserve death by "inquisition" and the crusades? No, of course not. And what about the feuding parties in Northern Ireland that I was a child of that hatred does not escape me, ever.

When does it stop? When do we stop? When do I stop? It is up to me, to love my neighbour even though I may not like him or her (or them).

And who is my neighbour?

Jesus, in response to a question from a religion scholar about getting eternal life said:

"what is written in God's law"

and the scholar said

"That you love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and muscle and intelligence-and that you love your neighbour as yourself"

the scholar trying to trick Jesus said:

"and just how would you define neighbour"

and Jesus proceeded to tell the parable about the Good Samaritan:

"There was once a man traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho. On the way he was attacked by robbers. They took his clothes, beat him up, and went off leaving him half-dead. Luckily, a priest was on his way down the same road, but when he saw him he angled across to the other side. Then a Levite religious man showed up; he also avoided the injured man.

"A Samaritan traveling the road came on him. When he saw the man's condition, his heart went out to him. He gave him first aid, disinfecting and bandaging his wounds. Then he lifted him onto his donkey, led him to an inn, and made him comfortable. In the morning he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, 'Take good care of him. If it costs any more, put it on my bill—I'll pay you on my way back.' "

"What do you think?" Jesus said, "Which of the three became a neighbor to the man attacked by robbers?"

"The one who treated him kindly," the religion scholar responded.

Jesus said, "Go and do the same."

The message is for all of us. The Samaritans were hated by the Jewish people and yet this man treated those who hated him with kindness. The question of eternal life is not to be answered by the number of virgins that await us at Martyrdom, all people particularly women should be offended by that. Beyond anything it is selfish. Rather the question is what and how will we treat those we do not like now.

I am not a fan of war (have never been) or war movies (anymore). I have tired of any real life depiction of violence in the last few years and significantly more since April 2008. I recall listening to this piece of music at the end of Platoon in 1986 and being transfixed by it. The sadness expressed by the writer and the platform from which it is being played leaves me with tears at the horror and beauty of the world that we live in. Until we all see each other as neighbours, the dissonant notes of terrorism will remain.



Happy Tuesday everyone

No comments: