Sunday, August 15, 2010

Talkin' about dreaming....... (no spoilers)

I posted about dreams the other day and wondered aloud about what has happened to dreams and dreamers. And then I went to see "Inception". There are no spoilers in this post.

The tradition in our house is that at least once each summer when both my kids (young adults) are home that they go to a movie with Dad. We delayed this years instalment as long as possible because I am still in recovery mode. We didn't want to mess with tradition (who does?), so last Saturday (yesterday) I sat way too long watching a movie. Enough about bad decisions, the good one was going to see "Inception".

All three of us loved the movie. What a great flick. The story reminded me of some of the studies I researched in the early 1980's in my experiential psychology courses at Brock University. One set of studies was regarding "lucid" dreams. One of my professor's (Dr. Harry Hunt) and I planned to do some replication studies about the relationship between lucid dreams and migraine headaches. Unfortunately, my career got in the way and I quickly completed my degree and joined the rest of the working world. If I remember correctly we were going to try to replicate the work of Oliver Sacks (yes, he of "Awakenings" fame and so much more) including sleep studies etc. Oh well, that never happened. I wonder how Dr. Hunt is by the way?

Back to the movie; having been directed not to watch previews by my children, I was nervous about what I was going to see, I asked my daughter about parts that might make me jump (not good for the recovery), I laughed out loud, I was amazed, shocked, rarely scared, but did jump once (just a little one, more pane than pain). There is no political mumbo jumbo, no attacks on Bush, or Obama (although that might be fun for a change). There are tons of reviews out there, but the best review is the people. Are we all lead astray like a flock of sheep on this one? I don't know, you'll just have to decide for yourself. But, it will be very baaaaaaaaaad if you miss this one.

Immediately following the film while driving home, I said to the kids that I might not go and see this movie again, and then within ten minutes I announced to them that in fact I do want to go and see it again, and soon. That's my review, in ten minutes I realized that there was probably so much that I missed that I just might want to see it again. I think I'll wait for a few more weeks before I go, I'm still sore from yesterday.

That was a dream that lasted 128 minutes.

No comments: