Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dreaming...............

Does anyone dream anymore? I am not asking about the night terrors, or wonderful imaginations that occur during sleep. I wonder does anyone dream about doing something that hasn't been done by someone else, or done by so few people that it seems almost crazy?

I just read about Ed Stafford on www.walkingtheamazon.com. This man has walked the entire length of the Amazon over the past two years. Can you imagine doing that? I can't even imagine dreaming about doing that. But why? What stops me from dreaming about some "adventure"? Does it have to be an adventure? What is dreaming anyway? One definition speaks of "imagining or inventing something". Life sometimes is so dull that dreaming has become all but forgotten.

When did I last dream? When was the most recent investment of time thinking about and imagining something to complete? Why don't we allow people to "daydream"? This modern culture sees no benefit in sitting and thinking. There is always someone to ask uncomfortably "what are you thinking about" and thereby interrupts the thought process. I can't dream if I can't sit and think uncontested.

As that wise philosopher, Richard O'Brien, once wrote "don't dream it, be it". Maybe he had it right all along and then maybe not. To focus on the accomplishment eventually means the death of the dream, doesn't it? Oh bother, as a certain bear would say.

No comments: