Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday Musing # 56

Happy Tuesday Everyone

"This is my beloved son, listen to him." In the gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke after what is referred to as "The Transfiguration" Peter, James and John were given this command. How appropriate that they were told to listen to him. But, what does listening really entail?

I look at people when I speak with them and often know whether or not they are listening. But not always. All of us, with the exception of the hearing impaired, hear us, but really not everyone listens. There are people that I regularly interact with who clearly do not listen. They are so quick to respond that I can almost see that they are formulating their answers as I speak. So, who cares, right? We all have so much to do and so little time to get it done, that we refuse to respect the other person and "listen" to them.

In my world, it always returns to respect. You see, having experienced the complete lack of respect in some situations, I realize very quickly when someone begins to walk down that road. I know it and I hate it. It takes many forms: faces, attitudes, patronization, words, absence, abuse and sometimes even presence.

What's the relationship between listening and respect. People demonstrate disrespect by hearing, but not listening. On the contrary people demonstrate respect by hearing and then listening. Too many times I have been disrespected and unfortunately, I remember the times. I try to be forgiving, that's part of the listening to His son, but I remember and then forgive. I try not to hold grudges, sometimes though, action beyond cheek turning is required.

Where is the musing going today? If we listen to Him, then we will respect His direction. In a non faith environment, if we listen to, hear, respect and put value into others, our lives will be filled with deeper relationships that will grant us opportunities to walk this life with respect and being respect. Does this post make sense? I'm not so sure it does. I do know that without listening, without hearing and without respecting, life will be/is shallow, self serving and ego centric. If you read this and know it's for you, congratulations, maybe this will be the genesis of a new you.
If you read this and know it is not for/about you, continue to live your life, serve with great abandon. Mark Twain that American writer said: "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on earth." I'm not sure why that is important here, but I know this I am tired of the masks, there are so many, so when I think you are listening, I will call you on it(respectfully of course).

When I feel disrespected, I will call you on it, if that's my way of dancing, sing, loving and living, then get ready for a new me and a new life, full of listening first to Him, then being honest with you, or at the very least calling you on the things that need to be called. You too may call me out if I am not listening, hearing, respecting or loving you: I expect it and I need it to grow as a lover, father, person and man.

Happy Tuesday Everyone

No comments: