Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hope for Bastion #2

Life as always, has ups and downs. Just over a week ago I felt like I could nothing more to serve my God and people. I was at a spiritual pinnacle and having just given advise to my son about this place, i should have known what was coming. Reality crept or more correctly crashed my little happy dance and I felt like my world was totally squished like the fly on the windshield (for you music fans that's from the band Genesis, The Lamb lies down on Broadway).

Circumstances came into my life that have left me questioning much. I am not at liberty to discuss the details, but suffice it to say, I felt like my very core was being questioned. Before you go calling the crisis line, my family and I are fine. In fact we spent a magnificent weekend together eating, enjoying, worshipping, playing, laughing, shopping and did I say eating? Oh yeah and travelling on two dash 8's (and two real planes too), yikes those "8's" were the loudest plane I have ever been on.

Then life happened. Life in it's funny, cyclical and providential way gave me a shot in the arm today. As discussed before (and the purpose for this recurring post) we have found a new way to serve. Our new love and way to serve has been our involvement in the ministry to people who serve significantly underprivileged children and their families in Ecuador. Today of all days, I received a letter from someone who wants info on sponsoring a child. I prayed and had hoped that my blog and these posts would draw some attention to Ecuador and it did. Man, I am so excited about the possibilities.

I told Nikki that the blog will be a way to reach a different group of people that may never have a chance to sponsor or even hear about Bastion. One of the readers wrote and wants to review the information about sponsoring. My highs and lows are nothing compared with the awful experiences that these children have to go through.

I complain about a cold house when I return from a mini vacation that cost enough to support a child for 29 months, I complain about a simple nail being pushed back when these folks have no medical care and a broken nail means nothing. These people have nothing without the generous support of donors, like this person.

The person who wrote about becoming a donor will remain anonymous, I am sure that this is how they would prefer it to be. They are regular readers, I consider them a friend, I know they are trustworthy, and they are a parent who intends to teach their children they are blessed with about the awful realities of poverty and the amazing thankfulness we need to cultivate, in ourselves and in them.

Did the letter change my circumstances? Of course not! It changed my attitude. It took me from self focus (I did not say self pity) to a reminder that my items of concern are so very real, but, they are not as bad as those that some others have the reality to deal with. In other portions of my world, people are preparing for a trial after the passing of a loved one. While I am immersed in that situation, my beloved and children are alive and well. Did I celebrate when I realized that the shooting in Virginia last year was not at my son's school, of course and I also grieved for the families of the dead. I grieve and pray for the family of the deranged person who decided to take away life from so many others.
In this existence I must choose to bring all of the events that I participate in and those that are foisted upon me into the light of perspective that reminds me that all is seen, all is known and the furniture in heaven has not been rearranged. Do I struggle with my difficulties? , of course I do! Am I concerned about the children in Bastion, in Gaza, In Eritrea, and in every place where the streets are latrines, receptacles of used needles and the other accoutrement of the impoverished life. Of course, but I can do something and not be paralyzed by my own inaction. Just like the person who wrote to ask about sponsorship, I can choose to do "something". A choice is made, a child is fed, is clothed, is educated and is provided with some health care.

So, what are you doing to feed, clothe, educate and provide health care to those who have none?
and once again we are reminded that:

"if you have done it to the very least of these you have done it unto me"

No comments: