Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hope for Bastion #1

Good morning and welcome to Wednesday and a new series on the blog. This is the first post of a series that I intend to write each Wednesday to bring attention to the plight of those who live in abject poverty in a part of Guayaquil, Ecuador. Actually, the area is know as Bastion, but no one willingly says that they are from Bastion.

Tonight, one of the people who has been led to assist the people of Bastion is coming to our house for dinner to introduce us to the wonderful and terrible things she has seen as she serves those people. I wrote about Nikki in my Monday and Tuesday posts and now she will have her own post until the work is done. With permission, I will post photos, stories, crime stats, births, deaths and all the information required to measure some of the things that go on there. There is also a spiritual side to the work, you see Nikki and the others she works with are Christ followers and they do this to show their devotion to Him. That gives them power, peace and hope.

They are not misled people who are only on the mission field because they can't find jobs or husbands(or wives as the case may be), no, they are there because they believe in the people they serve and want to to their best for them, no matter what.

Tonight, my beloved and I have the privilege to sit and share a meal with Nikki and to hear her story. I hope (with her permission) to share a little of her story each week as the "Hope for Bastion" post comes alive (somehow I hear Peter Frampton in the background, you knew there had to be a music reference, right) every Wednesday morning.

As soon as I have photos or videos I will post them. While I will not solicit from the blog, I will educate with regards to child/family sponsorship. I will provide links to websites that can be accessed and will also provide contact information should you wish to learn more about sponsorship.

Why the title, Hope for Bastion? Well, to be honest, the website for the mission group is called "Mission Hope for Bastion" and I want to make sure that what I say, do and write are aligned with the mission, so that's a pretty good start, eh?
Enjoy your Wednesday.

No comments: