Saturday, April 4, 2009

We celebrate our 28th anniversary

Today, my beloved and I celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. It is a little colder today than when we wed all those years ago. It rained on our wedding day and my Mom said that this was a good sign that our marriage would last. As usual, Mom was right. She left us a few years ago but I'm sure that she is looking down on us from heaven and smiling and saying I told you so, as she has a nice cup of tea and awaits the start of the leaf game. It would be great just to spend some time with her and talk about how the last few years have gone. 

Our marriage, like all other marriages has had its' share of speed bumps. We have seen ups and downs and there have been days when I am sure my beloved did not like me very much. We pledged to "have and to hold from this day forward for richer or poorer in sickness and in health and forsaking all others". we didn't have a video made (there were no video cameras back then), we had or may still have a tape recording of the service and there are pictures hidden away in an album which were taken inside the studio because of the rain. We have numerous photos taken by family and friends and we have many memories from that day.

We made a commitment to God and to each other and we will not break that commitment. I have learned to love my beloved more and more as time has passed and she has likewise learned the same towards me. Over the years we have participated in marriage seminars, read books, listened to tapes, watched videos and have even led numerous small groups of couples wishing to improve their marriages.

Recently we have discovered a book entitled "Love and Respect" by Dr. Emmerson Eggerichs. The title finds its' beginnings in the book of Ephesians which was written by Saint Paul many years ago. The verse states that "husbands love your wife as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her and wives respect your husbands". The book and study reveals that women want to "be loved" more than anything else and that men want to "be respected" in a similar fashion and that since it is a commandment there are no options. It has been a great tool in helping me to better understand and love my wife. There is nothing more that I want to do than to demonstrate my love for my beloved.

And now where do we go? We have developed a terrific friendship and a deep love for each other that grows daily. We support each others interests and even put up with things that we don't like. We believe that with each gift received that the person on the receiving end must find a way to "pay it forward" as the movie proposed. Recently Jo and I have been contacted my people who need help in their marriage and have asked us to walk alongside them as they work to improve their marriage. We make it very clear that we are not counsellors, but rather that we are willing to be mentors. The term mentor comes from Greek mythology, in which Odysseus leaves for the Trojan war and places his son Telemachus in the charge of Mentor who becomes a trusted friend, a teacher and counsellor in life.

We celebrate our anniversary by spending time with those whom we can learn from, with our children (in person and on skype) and alone just enjoying the company of each other. 

No comments: