Friday, October 1, 2010

Dreams should be greater than memories

I heard a piece of a message from Chuck Swindoll on the radio today. I don't remember anything except this quote, "dreams should be greater than memories".

For some reason, I have once again been immersed in thoughts about dreaming. I know that I have lamented the lack of dreaming on my part and the paucity of dreamers that are somewhat rational.  I believe that thoughts come for a reason. Within me lies a dreamer who has become afraid to dream. I am pushed to the limit by the lack of authenticity in my life because I seem to just be filling roles for the sake of making time count.

If my dreams are to be greater than my memories then what can i dream about? What is there out there or in there for me to dream and hopefully go beyond dreaming and put it into action. I am still working on "Into the Wild" and trying to learn from Chris McCandless and the other dreamers who gave up normalcy to accomplish their dreams.

I have to first allow myself to dream and I have to move the dreams from their present hidden place in my consciousness and bring them to the fore. Exactly how I do that is a lingering question. If I accomplish that, what happens then? I immediately began to think and write from a negative perspective I " can't" do that because ............... just came to my mind.

Where does this leave me now? I have great memories and I want dreams that are greater than these, why? They will create even greater memories and then the dreams will be substantially greater again. This is becoming like the song that doesn't end.

Somehow, I think this dream question is starting to become formed into something more than a frustrating idea. it is beginning to form itself into a practical application that might become real. I do hope so because it is frustrating to say the least.

2 comments:

mconty said...

Isn't that Chuck Swindoll quote neat?! I'm checking around to see if it appears anywhere else online -- it sounds kinda Shakespearean to me.

mconty said...

(Ok, from what I'm finding, it looks like it's attributed to Doug Ivester, the one-time CEO of Coca-Cola.)