Saturday, June 26, 2010

First do no harm

That's part of the Hippocratic oath taken by doctors apparently.

There is a difference between hurt and harm, I have been preaching it for more than 24 years in my professional life to the people I am honoured to provide assistance to. Things are certainly different from this perspective. Now I am the one listening to someone drone on about "between 1 and 10 how is your pain?". It's really an idiotic question if you ask me. Asking someone hours after surgery has been conducted to open the entire lumbar section of their spine is akin to asking a pregnant woman how the pain is just before the delivery. The simple answer, "it hurts more than before the surgery should suffice" but is doesn't. I know the purpose is to assess and then review later, but since it is so subjective, what reasonable information can be gained by the ongoing question?

Oh well, the pain is now lower in some ways that pre-surgery and that's great. My ability to walk about is improving, in fact I went for a "walk" yesterday. I walked from my house down my driveway to the driveway of my next door neighbour and then I walked home. A momentous achievement. I hope to "walk" a little more when I can with the goal of walking around the block with my beloved.

This, in spite of all the pain, tells me that I am getting better. For this I am truly thankful. I really need to remember that I am only 10 days post major surgery. I will continue to update this blog with my successes and struggles as well as with some other thoughts that are finally pushing through the fog of drugs.

No comments: