Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday Musings # 42

I saw a rainbow this morning as I drove to work. The rainbow, as a symbol, means a lot to me. I don't think about the legend of the pot of gold, or that a leprechaun will be waiting there to greet me. The symbol is of hope. In recent years members of the gay community have used the rainbow to symbolize something for them, I prefer to think of it as a gift from God as a reminder of His promise. That promise is that He will never flood the earth again.

There is a lot of evil in the world. and if you don't believe in evil, then what do you call Darfur, Sudan, Rwanda, Northern Ireland, Slavery and so on? It's not just bad decisions, I do not believe that we are inherently good, I believe that daily I have to choose to do what is right as I struggle with my inner darkness.

A favourite musician of mine paraphrased Saint Paul in the following way:

the very things I hate, I end up doing
the things I want to do, I just don't do

Why is there such a battle going on between doing what is good (read right) and what I want (read wrong). I have no plans to do anything that would either break the ten commandments or even any of current societal laws, I just know that within my hearts resides the possibility to do wrong.
And then I see a rainbow. There is hope because with the recognition of my inner evil, comes the hope of redemption. I believe that there is no one beyond redemption, including myself, because we all have fallen short of perfection, therefore we all can come to the place of reconciliation. It's that simple, it's just a choice as to whether or not I choose to live in the darkness of my evil or see the beauty and hope of the rainbow and live in the light.

Happy Tuesday everyone

No comments: