Sunday, June 14, 2009

Movies with the kids: careful spoilers re: Star Trek

I went to the movies with my kids yesterday. It's actually the second movie that we have attended together already this summer. We are having a great summer already, in spite of some other complications.

It's great to spend time with them no matter their age. I am learning from them, their faith, the love of life, their apparent lack of prejudice. They certainly don't exhibit overt expressions of racism and I don't think they have ever expressed those tendencies.

And they still like to laugh. We watched "Star Trek" yesterday. It was quite a funny movie. I remember the original with Captain James T. Kirk and all the rest of the crew, always thought uhura was cute, and she is now too. I just realized that she was in "The Curse of the Black Pearl" too. Enough about her, this is about me and my kids going to the movies. 

The movie was a fun ride and clearly just a pretense for making many more with this crew as this was the introduction of the new "crew". The relationship with Kirk and all the crew has their beginnings here and this looks like a new Star Trek that I will watch. I watched it in the '70's but never became a trekkie, it was fun to see how they developed the early relationships with "Spock", Uhura, "Bones", "Scotty", Chekov and Sulu. 

I watched the film and remembered the '70's version and saw how these characters were almost pieces of the original, it's as though they studied the original and took parts of the characters to make them their own. I know someone who did that in real life who has been very successful at his craft. I laughed at parts where no one else laughed, who cares right? I jumped when everyone else jumped and was somewhat confused when I ................ well that's too much to tell isn't it? I really loved the movie and the time with the kids(they are really not kids anymore, but they are mine.

I found this clip on youtube. You can also see it in greater clarity on the official website:

www.startrek.com/startrek/view/index.html

No comments: