Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year, 2009 is here

I have been looking forward to 2009 for some time now. Suffice it to say that 2008 was difficult. It was, however, a time of significant learning and of faith testing experiences. We experienced and heard things things that we should not have. But, God (the one they call Emmanuel) was and continues to be "with us" as we move from 2008 to 2009.

That's the exciting thing about difficulties and challenges, we believe that we are not alone. Based on that I can go into 2009 with great expectations, which by the way is another book i want to read again. 

I don't make new years resolutions for many reasons. I do like to make plans for the year. I want to be healthier, I want to challenge my mind, primarily by reading. I want to read more of the classics for example the works of: Steinbeck, Hemingway, Dickens and C.S Lewis. I also want to read more poetry. It is my intention to read through the bible again this year, this time my plan is to read it chronologically. I want to drink deep of the fountains of spiritual knowledge as well as being quiet and listening once in a while too.

Most importantly I want to be kind, not just to the ones I love, but to all people. I want to be forgiving and I want to dispense grace, not the before meal prayer, but the behaviour that places others before myself and extend to them that which has been extended to me. I want to seek to understand, rather than getting my point across. I want to stand for what is right and stand against that which is wrong while still demonstrating love.

I know that by seeking to do this, I will have opportunities that will challenge me to act in ways that match these values. I wanted to learn patience this past year and had many different circumstances placed before me to teach me patience.

Whatever this year has for me, I am ready and not alone, for He is "with us".

As always, I will keep you posted on my progress. Much like the Pilgrim in Pilgrims Progress, I will press on to the goal as I trust Him for direction and guidance in my life.  

Happy New Year, indeed!    

No comments: